What are the registration requirements for .IN domains?
There are no requirements for buying .IN domains.
What does .IN stand for?
.IN represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of India. It was introduced in 1989 and was intended for entities affiliated with India. This domain suffix is not very popular in its own country as many Indian companies have a higher preference for .COM or .ORG domains. However, .IN started to gain popularity in 2005 when registration policies became liberalized. INRegistry is the authorized body for carrying out its registry.
Aside from usage as India’s two-letter country code, IN is also used to abbreviate other words. Popular meanings of IN include: internet (computing), Indiana (postal code in US), inch (unit of measurement), Indonesia (country) and intelligence (military).
Why register a .IN domain?
India is experiencing a robust economic growth rate since the last decade. Its successful economy is attributed to excellent governance and strong macroeconomic structure. Emphasis in infrastructure development also made the country an advantageous location for operating businesses. International companies invest in India because of its investor-friendly policies. Foreigners can directly start a business in India through a simple registration process. Inexpensive labor costs and English-proficient manpower also make this territory a big marketplace for business process outsourcing and call centers.
Does your company plan to introduce its brand name in India? Buying a .IN domain name will be beneficial for your business in several ways:
- IN domain is essential in establishing your company’s position in the Indian digital market. The online industry of India is so vast and too many companies, local and foreign included, are competing for local web traffic. When your website is ending with .IN, there is more potential for your company to succeed locally.
- Indian online shoppers can identify your website as a local business. This increases the level of trust and encourages them to engage and make purchases from your online store.
- Make your website address more unique and easier to recognize. With millions of registered websites under generic TLDs, your website ending in IN will be different from the rest.
- Country coded domains such as .IN are beneficial for local targeting and generating local traffic. Boost your Google page rank and attract high quality target customers to your website.
- Thousands of premium domain names are waiting to be registered under IN domain suffix. Most of these are one-word keywords, correctly spelled and very popular.
- “IN” website extension is ideal for domain hacking. This domain suffix can be used as a preposition or an adverb. Example: www.parking.in. It can also be used as a substitute for Indiana or Indonesia since IN is also popularly used for these territories.