What are the registration requirements for .IE domains?
The owner must be:
- An Irish company or an Irish resident or citizen; OR
- A foreign company or individual who can prove a link to Ireland.
If you are a foreign company, you can prove a link to Ireland by:
- Providing evidence to show that you are either currently trading with or providing a service to Irish customers. The evidence could be an invoice from an Irish company, marketing material aimed at the Irish market, or a solicitor or accountant’s letter confirming your current or future trade with Ireland.
- Providing evidence to show that you will be relocating to Ireland in the near future.
- Holding a Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or EU Community registered trademark.
What does .IE stand for?
.IE represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Ireland. It was introduced in 1988 and was intended for entities with connection to Ireland. IE Domain Registry is the authorized unit for carrying out its registry while Marcaria.com is the accredited registrar for processing the IE domain applications. Offensive, immoral and illegal domain names are prohibited. For complete requirements and restrictions for .IE domains, contact us today.
IE is also used as an acronym or abbreviation for other words. IE stands for: Internet Explorer, inside edition, in effect, in essence, inhale/exhale, industrial engineering, ion exchange (science), infrared emission (science), intelligent enterprise and international education.
Why register a .IE domain?
Ireland is a European sovereign state and is categorized by World Bank as a high-income economy. Its economic activities are widely focused on trade and service industries. In the past decade, the main sources of income were coming from agricultural sectors namely fertile pastures and dairy products. However, Ireland’s economy is now heavily dependent on high-tech industries such as computer software and telecommunication systems. International firms are interested in making an investment in Ireland because of the country’s strength in the ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) industry. Startup companies have a reliable platform to successfully launch and expand. In addition, corporate taxes in Ireland are significantly lower compared to other European territories.
Before you start investing in Ireland, you might want to consider buying IE domains. This ccTLD offers advantages to your online business in the following ways:
- IE domains can help your company in building a professional online reputation. Internet users from Ireland are aware that only companies with connection to their country are allowed to use this ccTLD. Hence, it builds a trustworthy image and establishes the legitimacy of your business.
- IE domains can help your company in building a strong online presence in the digital market of Ireland. This is the first step in creating a customer base and making your brand name popular within this territory.
- IE domains create an impression of deep commitment and dedication among consumers. As a result, customers tend to respond to your page’s call to action and buy your offerings.
- IE domains are ideal for implementing white hat SEO techniques and organic landing page optimization. Search engines will identify your website’s content as geared towards internet users in Ireland. Hence, majority of your site’s traffic will be coming from this country.
- IE domains can minimize advertising costs. Since it is compatible with natural SEO, there is less need for paid marketing campaigns as target customers can find your website through search engines.
- IE domains are useful for customized website addresses. Examples: www.fals.ie instead of www.falsie.com (false eyelashes used by women for wearing makeup); www.smooth.ie instead of www.smooth.ie (a type of beverage that is commonly consumed for health and weight loss).