What are the registration requirements for .JP domains?
.JP, .NE.JP and .GR.JP:
- A Japanese contact address and phone is required.
- If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain to the name of our local representatives and make it available to you. This option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
- Only companies incorporated in Japan are permitted to register (only one domain name per company).
- If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain in the name of our local representatives and make it available to you. This option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
Note: For this particular case, the registrant won’t be able to change the DNS from the one provided by us as long as they are using the Trustee Service, but the domain can be redirected to a specific address if needed.
What does .JP stand for?
.JP represents the official domain extension or internet country code top-level domain of Japan. It is available only to individuals that reside in Japan or own a business located in Japan. Japan Registry Service (JRS) is the authorized technical body that carries out the administration of this domain name while registration can be processed through any accredited registrars.
JP can also mean other things. For example, it also stands for “Just Playin” which is an internet slang commonly used by people who play computer games. Sometimes it also used as an abbreviation for the name John Paul. However, JP is most popularly used as an acronym for Japan.
Why register a .JP domain?
Japan, albeit small in territorial size, is the 4th most powerful country in the world in terms of economic growth and customer spending power. Electronics and automobile industries keep Japan’s economy competitive and stable in the world market. Reports also show that online shopping in Japan is becoming more popular and prevalent due to a shift in consumer mindset. In the past, Japanese shoppers prefer to personally visit the store to buy products. However, younger generations are now open to shop online for products that are not available locally. Because of this trend, foreign companies wish to introduce their products in Japan to increase sales.
There are several reasons why a .JP domain extension is a must-have for your website:
- It is ideal for companies wishing to expand their local presence or promote their brand name in Japan. It immediately informs customers that you have a local presence in their country and it gives the impression of being a legit business. This is essential in building customer relationship and succeeding in the Japanese markets.
- Japanese consumers are known for believing in the proverb: “okyakusama wa kamisama desu” which means the customer is god. You have to treat your target customers with respect and veneration. One way of capturing their trust and showing you have a legit and credible business, is to register a .jp website.
- It is another way to protect your registered trademark and prevent infringement by third parties. It is an additional evidence or proof of owning the trademark name. Also, it prevents other people from using your brand for malicious or fraudulent activities. It minimizes the possibility of being copied or getting a bad reputation online.
- Very good for SEO purposes. The flow of traffic to your website will be coming from high quality leads. If you’re specifically targeting Japanese online shoppers, a .jp website would be the first step in attracting this type of demographics.