What are the registration requirements for .MY domains?
.COM.MY, .NET.MY and .ORG.MY:
- The owner must be a company with local presence in Malaysia.
- The owner must be an individual or company residing in Malaysia. If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain to the name of our local representatives and make it available to you. This option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
IMPORTANT: .MY, .COM.MY, .ORG.MY and .NET.MY domain names expire on the last day of the eleventh month after the registration date.
What does .MY stand for?
.MY represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Malaysia. Registration is restricted to select entities and proof of local presence is mandatory. However strict the rules are in buying a .MY domain suffix, it is still a popular choice for companies expanding in Malaysia. The domain extension was assigned in 1987 and the authorized body handling its registry is MYNIC Berhad.
Aside from usage as Malaysia’s two-letter country code, .MY is also used to define other words. Other uses of MY include: my (pronoun), million years (unit of measurement), Burmese (language), miss you (online chat or SMS), management year (business) and man year (military).
Why register a .MY domain?
Malaysia is a small Southeast Asian country located near Singapore. It is classified by World Bank as a high-income economy with revenues coming from exports of crude, palm oil and electronic products. The Malaysian economy is one of the most competitive in the world and is reported to be more powerful than the economies of South Korea and Japan. It is also a top destination for making investments because of its business-friendly environment and simplified business processes.
If your company is planning to expand in Malaysia, buying a .MY domain would be the profitable choice.
- Having a .MY website name makes it easier to represent your company name in professional and legal way.
- Since legal documents are mandated for the registration of .MY websites, it automatically enhances the credibility of your business. Customers visiting your website will see that you are using a country code extension and they know right away that your business operations are legal.
- .MY is the quickest way to access the digital consumers of Malaysia. These people are profitable target customers since their spending power is very high and comparable to the Japanese and American consumers.
- .MY is ideal for doing domain hacks. Examples of a smart domain hack are: www.anato.my instead of www.anatomy.com and www.yum.my instead of www.yummy.com. If you are creative, there are hundreds of ways to take advantage of this domain suffix.
- Simplify your local SEO and drive organic traffic to your website with little effort. By using a country code extension, you are telling Google and other search engines that your web page is created for a specific country and a particular purpose. For example, a website address using “.COM.MY” tells Google that it is created for the Malaysian audience with commerce as its intended purpose.