What are the registration requirements for .QA domains?
- There are no requirements.
The owner must be a commercial entity duly registered in the State of Qatar and must have either:
- A valid trade license issued within the State of Qatar by the Ministry of Business and Trade, and/or the competent authorities of the State of Qatar in accordance with Qatari laws; OR
- A registered trade mark in the State of Qatar.
If the registrant name is different or if the domain name is different from the company or trademark name, an authorization letter will be required.
IMPORTANT: Below are the categories of words that are reserved or restricted by the Qatar Domains Registry and that cannot be registered:
- Words related to Registry Operations
- Names of territories, distinct economies, and other geographic and geopolitical names
- Qatari Government specific Names and names of Local importance
- gTLDs strings
- ccTLDs strings
- Religion and anti-religion
- Pornography, sex and dating
- Names of alcohol and alcoholic brands
- Illegal drugs
- Criminal terms
- Deceptive terminologies
- Terms related to gambling
Please note that any application is subject to revision from the Qatar authorities; in order to avoid deletion, your domain name should not violate the laws and regulations of the State of Qatar.
.QA registration policies
Qatar Domains Registry (http://www.domain.qa/en).
What does .QA stand for?
.QA is the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Qatar. It was introduced in 1996 and was intended for entities affiliated with this country. Internet Qatar is the authorized body for carrying out its registry. QA domains are non-restricted and open to the general public. However, all registrations must go through an accredited and authorized registrar such as Marcaria.
Aside from being used as Qatar’s two-letter country code, QA is also often used as an abbreviation for other popular words. QA also stands for: quality assurance (business process), quality analyst (occupation), question and answer (miscellaneous), Qantas Airways (airline), quick assets (finance), Queue and Accumulator (system) and Queen Amidala (character in Star Wars).
Why register a .QA domain?
Qatar’s economy is among the highest and most powerful in the world. Its economic activity is predominantly based on petroleum and natural gas exports. Purchasing power is also consistently high that allow Qataris to enjoy a luxurious lifestyle. Foreign companies are attracted to invest in this country because of multiple factors. One reason is the exceptional support that they get from the local government. Incentives are given and tariff exemption is available for a wide range of products. Another reason is the luxurious lifestyle that residents are able to enjoy. People working and living in Qatar can afford a high quality of living.
Qatar should be your company’s next target for business expansion. Opportunities to grow your revenues are endless and the environment is also business-friendly. But before anything else, we highly suggest that you buy a .QA domain website for your company. Having a .QA domain extension will:
- Help you to represent your business online in a professional way. Using the country code .QA establishes a good online reputation as well.
- Show that your company web page is not just a generic website, but a website that is specifically made to serve Qatari customers. Using the .QA domain suffix is one way of showing that you are committed to doing business with them.
- Instantly localize your website. Customers will be able to identify your website as a business that is operating in Qatar. This is crucial if you want to increase customer trust and loyalty because most internet users prefer to shop from local websites.
- Increase your local traffic volume. Internet users from Qatar are redirected to www.google.qa which is the Qatari version of Google. All searches made from this Google version get local results. Hence, .QA websites are automatically ranked higher for all local searches.
- Help in minimizing your company’s advertising cost. Since country code domains are good for organic SEO and generating local traffic, reliance on paid ads will be reduced.
- Help you choose a premium domain at an affordable price. Register the exact words that you want and avoid ending up with domain names that have no relevance to your business.