What are the registration requirements for .SG domains?
.SG and .COM.SG:
- A Singaporean postal address and an administrative contact in Singapore are needed for registration. Additionally, a Singaporean telephone number is needed for a .com.sg domain. If you are not able to meet any of the above requirements, we can proceed with your domain registration under our company's name in order to make it available to you; this option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
- In case your domain name is a registered trademark in Singapore, you may have to send additional information. We will inform you if this is the case.
What does .SG stand for?
SG represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Singapore. It was introduced in 1988 and was intended for entities interested in doing business in Singapore or websites using the Singaporean native language. SGNIC is the authorized body for carrying out its registry.
Aside from Singapore’s two-letter state code, SG is also used to abbreviate other words. Other popular meaning of SG include: specific gravity (science), support group (community), study guide (academics), so grate (online chat or SMS), solicitor general (occupation), shy guy or shy gal (online chat or SMS), salary grade (government), salivary gland (medical), Swiss-German border (location).
Why register a .SG domain?
Singapore is a high-income economy characterized by its open markets, low taxation rates and pro-business policies. It is also the third strongest country in the world in terms of consumer purchasing power. Citizens enjoy a great standard of living and are able to afford more than just basic commodities but luxuries as well. Education is another contributing factor to Singapore’s highly successful economic status. Its excellent education system is producing globally competitive workforce. Many international companies and foreign investors find Singapore an attractive place for startups and business expansion.
Before you expand your brand name in Singapore, consider buying its country code domain extension. SG domain suffix will benefit your firm in multiple ways.
- The Singaporean online market has a very stiff competition. Many online shops are competing for traffic and quality leads. When you use a .SG domain suffix, you reinforce your website’s position in Singapore’s marketplace.
- Singapore is a shopping heaven in Asia and many people from all over the world search for legit Singaporean websites for buying luxury items. When you use the SG domain extension, you make it easier for shoppers to find your website.
- Trust rating and user engagement is higher for country-coded websites. Most digital shoppers prefer to make a purchase from websites that they can identify as connected to their home country.
- Take advantage of organic traffic and increased SEO ranking. Users located in Singapore are automatically redirected to the Singaporean version of Google, www.google.com.sg. All searches made using this URL address are shown local results. If your website URL is ending in SG extension, your page will appear on top results for all the keywords that you are targeting.
- Minimize your PPC and advertisement costs. Since country code domains can enhance organic traffic, you won’t have to rely so much on paid ads or spend thousands of dollars for advertising your goods.