What are the registration requirements for .KR domains?
.KR, .CO.KR, .OR.KR and .NE.KR:
Owner must have residence in South Korea. If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain to the name of our local representatives and make it available to you. This option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
What does .KR stand for?
KR represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of South Korea. It was introduced in 1986 and was intended for entities affiliated to this country. Registration is limited to eligible applicants and local presence or a valid address is required. Using this domain suffix for activities that violate the South Korean law is not allowed. KISA is the authorized body for carrying out its registry.
Aside from usage as South Korea’s two-letter country code, KR is also used to abbreviate other words. Popular meaning of KR include: kind regards (online chat), kick returner (sports/football), Kroger (stocks) and Khmer Rouge (Cambodia).
Why register a .KR domain?
South Korea is a prosperous and progressive Asian country. It is the fourth biggest economy in Asia and the eleventh biggest in the world. Why is South Korea’s economic condition always stable? There are many factors that contribute to its successful economy. First, labor force is hard-working and highly-educated. Second, family-operated businesses dominate the economy. Third, judicial system is transparent and effective. All these combined factors make South Korea a wealthy territory and an attractive destination for foreign investors.
Before you invest in South Korea, consider buying a .KR domain extension for your website. It is beneficial for your business in ways you probably never knew about:
- KR domain extension allows you to professionally introduce your brand name in the South Korean online market. It shows that your website is dedicated and committed to serving South Korean clientele.
- KR domain extension reinforces your company’s connection with South Korea. It shows the legitimacy of your business and shows that you have a local presence in this territory.
- KR domain extension elevates the trust rating and encourages customers to engage with your web page.
- KR domain extension can maximize your sales and revenues since online shoppers tend to make a purchase from websites that they can identify as locally-run.
- KR domain extension is beneficial for generating local traffic. Users located in South Korea are redirected to www.google.co.kr. All websites ending with .KR are ranked higher in this Google version. So most of your web visitors will be coming from South Korea.
- KR domain extension is unique and more importantly, very affordable at $47. For this small amount you will be able to protect your registered trademark and company online reputation.
- KR domain extension is good for domain hacking. Examples: www.gimmic.kr instead of www.gimmickry.com or www.lawma.kr instead of www.lawmaker.com.