What are the registration requirements for .AF domains?
There are no requirements for buying .AF domains.
What does .AF stand for?
.AF refers to the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Afghanistan. It was introduced in 1997 and was intended for entities affiliated with Afghanistan. AFGNIC is the authorized body for carrying out its registry. Although registration is non-restricted and open to the general public, AF domain extension is not allowed to be used for spamming and using offensive content. Registrants must also make sure that no trademark rights are violated.
Aside from usage as Afghanistan’s two-letter country code, AF is also used as an abbreviation for other words. Popular meaning of AF include: aunt flo (menstruation), Africa (continent), auto-focus (photography), affiliate (commerce), Abercrombie & Fitch (label), Air France (flag carrier), athlete’s foot (disease), amniotic fluid (medical), accounting and finance (commerce) and always fresh (online chat).
Why register a .AF domain?
Afghanistan’s slow economic growth can be attributed to political instability, ongoing war and terrorism attacks. However, the economy has significantly improved since 2002 thanks to international assistance worth billions of dollars and the remittances coming from Afghans working in Europe and US. In spite of the financial problems and safety issues that this territory is currently facing, foreign investors are still interested to explore business opportunities in Afghanistan. Overseas companies are motivated to invest because of the government’s effort to support private sectors and to protect traders and business owners.
Whether you are interested to expand your business in Afghanistan or not, buying a .AF domain name is something that you must consider. AF domain extensions are beneficial in multiple ways:
- It is the most professional way to introduce your brand name in the online market of Afghanistan.
- It helps in reinforcing your company’s affiliation with Afghanistan which is necessary if you are serious about making your brand name popular within this territory.
- It allows you to expand your brand name not just in Afghanistan but as well as in Africa where AF is also used as abbreviation for the mentioned content.
- It increases the trust level of customers. A country code domain gives an impression of proximity which is one of the factors that consumers look at when deciding to make a purchase.
- It is beneficial for generating local traffic and organic SEO. If you are specifically targeting audiences from Afghanistan then buying a .AF domain suffix is a must-do.
- It is good for domain hacking. Example: www.breadlo.af instead of www.breadloaf.com and www.meatlo.af instead of www.meatloaf.com. These premium domains are currently available!
- There are hundreds of premium keywords that are still available for registration. These are one-word, meaningful, correctly spelled and most importantly, more affordable than .COM extension.
- It makes your website address unique and recognizable which is difficult to achieve when you choose a generic TLD like .com or .net.