What are the registration requirements for .CL domains?
Since December 2013, foreign registrants no longer have to submit a proof of citizenship or any document about their identity or business information. Registration has become relaxed since then.
What does .CL stand for?
.CL represents the official domain extension or internet country code top-level domain of Chile. In the past years, it was only available to Chilean citizens or business entities legally operating and paying taxes in Chile. However, these policies have changed and registration is now available to everyone regardless of what country they come from. NIC Chile is the authorized body that carries out the registry and administration of .CL domains.
CL also has other meanings. It is commonly used to refer to “chain letter” or initials of “Craig’s List.” In terms of measurements, CL stands for centiliters, a unit of volume. In Chemistry, CL stands for chlorine, while in law, CL stands for civil law. However, the most popular meaning of CL is Chile’s internet extension.
Why register a .CL domain?
According to a report by World Bank, Chile is a high-income country and is also considered as South America’s most progressive and most prosperous territory. Chile’s wealth and success are attributed to numerous factors namely competitive copper industry, low corruption in the government, and economic freedom. People, including foreign companies, are encouraged to engage in business because of the local policies that ease the procedures of operating a business.
Reasons why a .cl domain extension is profitable both for personal and business use:
- A .CL domain website is the right choice for businesses planning to expand in Chile and introduce their products in the Chilean digital markets. It emphasizes the company’s local presence in the country which is an essential step in getting the attention of local consumers.
- Most domain extensions like .com or .org are already saturated. If you have a profitable keyword in mind that you would like to use as your website address, .CL lets you register that domain without having to insert useless dashes or extra meaningless characters. But you have to act now and don’t wait for your competitors to get ahead of you.
- Build trust and confidence not only with local customers but as well as from traffic coming from other parts of the globe. When a Chilean visits your website and sees the URL address ending with .CL, he will instantly have a sense of connection with the site.
- Foreign consumers looking for legit Chilean products or services will also have greater chances of finding your online store. A .CL website suffix can dramatically boost your local SEO ranking.
- Protect your trademark or brand name from being used by your competitors and the possibility of misrepresentation. Secure your trademark by using all possible suffixes like .FR, .BR, .JP, and including .CL. This is one of the guaranteed ways to protect your online image.