What are the registration requirements for .CO domains?
Registration is open to anyone including individuals and companies. There are no restrictions and documentation is not needed.
What does .CO stand for?
.CO represents the official domain extension or internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) of Colombia. Webmasters consider this domain suffix as the second best option for .com. Registration is unrestricted and the domain is also very popular in ecommerce. Established companies such as Amazon and Starbucks use this extension for their business page. .CO Internet S.A.S is the authorized body that carries out the administration and registry of .CO.
CO is also popular for other meanings and acronyms. It can be a shortened spelling for company. It is also used as initials for commanding officer, corrections officer or counter offer. In English grammar, co is used to signify mutually or togetherness, i.e. cofounder. CO is also the two-letter code of the country, Colombia.
Why register a .CO domain?
Colombia is a major exporter of petroleum making it the top 4 biggest country in Latin America in terms of economic stability. The booming economy of this country is highly attributed to its strong commercial ties with the United States and modern IT (information technology) industry. Aside from petroleum, exportation of flowers, coffee and bananas also contribute to the nation’s overall income. Investors are interested in starting a business in this territory because of the local government’s initiative to implement liberal economic policies and tariff reduction.
Reasons why personal website owners as well as companies should get a .com domain:
- If you failed to register your trademark or brand name in a .com address, your next best option is .CO since it is also widely accepted as another shortened spelling for “commercial” or “company.”
- It is the second fastest-growing domain suffix in the internet, next to .com. Companies interested in setting up a web page for their business usually use .CO address to signify company or corporation. For example, www.amazon.co for Amazon Company.
- It is a short two-letter internet extension. As we all know it, when it comes to choosing a website address, the best practice is to pick the shortest domain name possible so users can remember it easily and not confuse it with other .com websites.
- Protect your trademark/brand name from fraudulent online activities like site phishing, scam, black hat SEO, etc. It’s not enough that your company name is registered in .com, .biz, and .org. Buying .co will also add protection to your online image so you can rest assured that unauthorized use of your brand will not happen. Otherwise, scammers can easily register your brand in .co and use the website to misrepresent you.
- Expand your business in Colombia as it is a very popular domain extension in the said country. This will help you gain more qualified leads and boost traffic.