What are the registration requirements for .CY domains?
Only Cyprian companies or individuals can register .com.cy domain names.
If you do not meet the above requirements, we can proceed with the domain registration in the name of our local agents and make it available to you; this option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
Note: .CY domains are registered on a calendar year basis; therefore the expiry/renewal date will always be the 26th of December of the expiration year of your domain, independently of the registration date.
What does .CY stand for?
.CY refers to the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Cyprus. It was introduced in 1994 and was intended for entities that have affiliations with Cyprus. The University of Cyprus is the authorized body for carrying out its registry. Registration is restricted to legal residents and companies operating in the Cyprian territory.
Aside from being used as Cyprus’ two-letter country code, CY is also used to abbreviate other popular words. CY also stands for: city or country (abbreviation), calendar year (date & time), cyberspace (internet), Cyclophosphamide (medical), current yield (business) and contract year (government).
Why register a .CY domain?
Cyprus is a populous island country situated to the southern region of Turkey and the Mediterranean Sea. It is a very wealthy European territory with economic activities primarily focused on the tourism, service, real estate and finance industries. Multinational firms believe that Cyprus has an excellent climate for making investments because of its stable economy and lower cost of living in comparison to other European nations. Overseas investors also want to take advantage of its geographical privilege being located within the proximity of three continents namely Europe, Asia and Africa. This means more opportunities to make profits and expand business farther.
Cyprus is indeed a great place for your next business venture. But before you make investments in this territory, buying .CY domains would be a smart move.
- CY domains make your website look more professional. This is essential for brand expansion in Cyprus since the educational level in this country is very high. Consumers would expect that you are able to represent your company name in a professional way.
- CY domains make your website local. This is necessary if you want to win the Cyprian trust and encourage them to engage and respond to your website.
- CY domains make your website address unique and different from your competitors. Online shoppers will find it easy to recognize your page in spite of other websites having an almost similar spelling or theme. Little things like this matter in gaining sales.
- CY domains are helpful in organic SEO and driving quality leads to your website. Internet users in Cyprus use the Cyprian version of Google: www.google.com.cy. All searches made through this search engine will get mostly local results.
- CY domains help in building your online credibility. Only companies that are able to comply with the documentation requirements can use the CY domain extension. If your website is ending in CY domain suffix, customers understand that your business in legit.