What are the registration requirements for .EC domains?
There are no documents, information or other requirements to register a .EC domain.
What does .EC stand for?
.EC represents the official domain extension or internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) of Ecuador. The intended use of this domain suffix is for entities with connection to Ecuador. However, registration is unrestricted and any person or any business entity is free to use a website ending with .EC.
EC also stands for many other things such as European Community or European Council. It is also used as a shortened spelling for economy or initials for extra credit, electronic cash, engineering center, etc. However, most people instantly think of EC as the official two-letter acronym for the country Ecuador.
Why register a .EC domain?
Ecuador is one of the most successful territories in South America given the fact that it is the world’s top exporter of bananas and coffee. Aside from the agricultural sector, petroleum export and money transfer from Ecuadorians working abroad contribute to the country’s yearly income by about 40%. Its centralized economic system, private freedom and simple regulations for doing business make Ecuador an attractive place for investors and foreign companies.
There are many reasons why companies planning to expand in Ecuador should choose a .EC suffix for their business website.
- Having a website address that ends with .EC is the first step in making the page localized. Ecuadorian online shoppers will easily find the website through search engines like www.google.com.ec.
- Create a professional online image for your company which is necessary for establishing a reputable name in the digital environment.
- Maximize your company’s earnings by targeting local consumers. Studies show that shoppers prefer to buy online from stores with a visible affiliation to their country.
- Benefit from SEO high ranking search results. Google normally shows local results on the first page so users will find it easier to land on your page. For example, users in Ecuador are automatically redirected to www.google.com.ec, or the Ecuadorian version of Google.com.
- Choosing a country code TLD is ideal for businesses that are specifically targeting a particular city or country. It has a substantial impact on the website’s popularity and getting high quality leads or traffic.
- It is easier to find a short and profitable keyword for your domain name unlike in .com or .org where domains are already saturated.
- Establish trust and confidence with online consumers. Users have higher trust rate for websites that have a URL address that they recognize as local and NOT foreign. Much better if you can create content in their native language and accept local currency for transactions.