What are the registration requirements for .GR domains?
There are no requirements for buying .GR domains.
What does .GR stand for?
.GR represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Greece. It was introduced in 1989 and was intended for entities with connection to Greece particularly those that engage in commercial, governmental and educational activities. FORTH-ICS is the authorized body for carrying out the registry of .GR domains. On the other hand, Marcaria.com is the accredited registrar for processing the applications for this ccTLD. Registration is open to anyone or any entities as long as local laws of Greece are not violated.
GR also stands for: great, group, Greek, gear, grade, gravity, Grand Rapids, gram, get real, golden retriever, Galactic Republic, games record, gateway router, general relativity, grid ratio, government relations and global range.
Why register a .GR domain?
Greece is a constituent of the European Union. It is situated in the Ionian and the Aegean seas. Since ancient times, this country has influenced the world not only in politics, arts, religion and civilization but as well as in the economic and financial aspects. Greece is also one of the most visited countries in Europe and is renowned for its historic sites, pristine beaches and magnificent architecture.
Multinational companies believe Greece is a top destination for investors because of several reasons. First is the country’s all-year sunny weather. It makes business operations smoother and easier especially for companies involved in transporting of goods. Second, Greece is a primary crossroad for Africa, Europe and Asia. An airplane ride can take you to a different continent in as short as one hour. Another reason is the availability of English-speaking and highly-skilled talents.
There are other lucrative reasons to invest in Greece, but you have to invest first in a .GR domain extension to make your business successful in this territory. Below is a short explanation on how .GR domains can help your company:
- GR domain extensions can create a professional image for your website.
- GR domain extensions can show that your company is deeply committed to serving local consumers and has long-term plans to operate business in Greece.
- GR domain extensions can emphasize your company’s connection to Greece and its people which is imperative to becoming successful in this country.
- GR domain extensions can help your company in launching a local brand awareness campaign. There’s no need to explain in your website that your products are created for customers in Greece. The country code in your website address does that for you.
- GR domain extensions can help your company in engaging in a fair competition in Greece’s digital market. (dot)GR is the most popular internet extension in this country and local businesses are also using this. Hence, adopting this ccTLD can boost your online presence.
- GR domain extensions are SEO-friendly and compatible with white hat optimization methods. ccTLDs have the same value as a .COM extension so don’t worry about getting Google penalties.
- GR domain extensions can maximize your sales and increase your earnings. Because it works best with organic optimization techniques, your target customers will easily find your website via search engines.