What are the registration requirements for .HK domains?
There are no requirements.
The authorities request a Certificate of Business Registration in Hong Kong. If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain to the name of our local representatives and make it available to you. This option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
What does .HK stand for?
.HK represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Hong Kong. It was introduced in 1990 and was intended for entities with affiliation to Hong Kong. Companies wishing to use .COM.HK must go through a verification process before they can use the domain suffix. Registry is managed by Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Ltd.
Aside from usage as Hong Kong’s two-letter country code, HK is also used to abbreviate other words. HK is used as an acronym to hugs & kisses (online chat or SMS), hostile kid (online games), hyperkalemia (medical), herpes keratitis (ophthalmology), housekeeper (occupation), hacker (computing), and Hershey’s Kisses (chocolate brand).
Why register a .HK domain?
Hong Kong is a small island territory in the heart of Asia. In spite being small, Hong Kong is a world leader in terms of financial and economic status. Tourism and international trade contribute to national revenues. International companies and foreign investors are interested to explore business opportunities in HK because of low taxation policies, free markets and safe environment. More importantly, HK serves as a vital connection between the Asia and the world. Any company wishing to expand in Asia should eye Hong Kong as a primary starting point.
Here are a few reasons why your company needs to buy a .HK domain:
- It is the easiest access to the digital market of Hong Kong. This territory is home to high quality potential customers. It is also the 9th most popular ccTLD in all of Asia. This means that you also get access to other Asian audiences apart from Hong Kong nationals.
- .HK domain suffix is ideal if you intend your website to have Chinese-written content. People from Taiwan, China and Hong Kong trust websites using .HK extension.
- Whether your website is for personal, business or organizational purposes, using a country code domain always provides an image of professionalism. Your audience knows that your web page is created specifically for the purpose of serving Hong Kong internet users.
- It shows that your business is affiliated with Hong Kong. This increases your website’s credibility and trust rating. Online shoppers in this region have a strong preference for HK websites.
- It gives an instant boost to your SEO rank. Hong Kong internet users are automatically redirected to www.GOOGLE.com.hk. This version of Google shows local search results instead of showing all possible websites from all over the globe. Hence, it is more likely for your website to appear on top results.