What are the registration requirements for .IS domains?
There are no requirements in buying .IS domains.
What does .IS stand for?
.IS refers to the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Iceland. The spelled out word for .IS is “Island” which is the Icelandic translation for Iceland. This domain extension was introduced in 1986 and was intended for entities connected with this country. University of Iceland was the first entity to use the IS-extension.
Interested applicants must know that ISNIC is the authorized unit for carrying out its registration while Marcaria is the most trusted registrar for IS domains. In addition, IS internet extension has been consistently rated as one of the top 10 most secure ccTLDs in the world. Usage of this domain suffix for illicit content or illegal activities would lead to suspension.
Aside from being used as Iceland’s two-letter country code, “IS” is also used to abbreviate: industry standard (business), in service (business), integrated system (technology), image stabilization (photography), Immunosuppression (medical), internet service (technology) and intermediate school (education).
Why register a .IS domain?
Iceland is a favorite destination of tourists wanting to experience a place of contradictions. This island nation is the only country in the world where ice and fire co-exist in harmony. The entire land is covered by hot springs, dozens of active volcanoes and glaciers. Residents of Iceland expect volcanic eruptions at an average of twice per year. The economy is highly dependent on the fishing industry which account to almost half of the national revenues.
Iceland is also a target location for foreign investors since it is known for its innovative technologies, social and political stability and openness to international companies. The local government has also spent billions for making the environment conducive for operating businesses and made the corporate tax substantially low. If your next goal is brand expansion in Iceland, buying .IS domains would be the right choice.
- IS domains provide the most professional way to introduce your business in the Icelander digital market. It is the most popular website extension in this country and using it will help in popularizing your brand name.
- IS domains help reinforce your company’s connection to Iceland and its consumers. This is imperative if you are serious about succeeding in this territory. Your strong affiliation with Icelanders will make your brand expansion goals easier to achieve.
- IS domains make an impression of deep commitment to serving Icelander customers. When internet users visit your website, they instantly know that it is created exclusively for Icelandic local markets.
- IS domains are beneficial for White Hat SEO strategy and driving organic traffic. When your website ends with (dot)IS, search engines are informed that the web page is geared towards online users from Iceland. Hence, your website’s local page rank may also increase.
- IS domains help in minimizing the SEO marketing costs and in the long run, maximizing the company revenues. Since country code extensions are ideal for White Hat SEO, you can limit your expenses for paid ads and save money.
- IS domains are ideal for those looking for premium domains. Examples: www.psorias.is instead of www.psoriasis.com. IS domains are also ideal for medical-related businesses. Examples: www.dialys.is instead of www.dialysis.com, www.fibros.is instead of www.fibrosis.com, www.halitos.is instead of www.halitosis.com, www.urinalys.is instead of www.urinalysis.com, www.scolios.is instead of www.scoliosis.com. Another example of domain hack is www.parenthes.is instead of www.parenthesis.com. All of these sample domain hacks are currently available. Register your premium domain now!