What are the registration requirements for .JO domains?
.JO and .COM.JO:
The owner must:
- have a registered Trademark in any country (matching the domain name)
- have a legal representative in Jordan
If you don’t have a legal representative we can register the domain to the name of our representatives in Jordan and then make it available to you; this option has an additional cost (Trustee Service).
A signed and legalized power of attorney (we will provide you a template) must be sent through. This can be done at the Jordanian Consulate.
What does .JO stand for?
.JO is the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of Jordan. It was introduced in 1997 and was intended for entities that are affiliated with this territory. DNS is the authorized body for carrying out its registry. This domain suffix is commonly used by Jordanian-based companies. Registrants are mandated to submit all legal documents in order to buy a .JO website.
Aside from usage as Jordan’s two-letter country code, JO is also used to abbreviate other popular words. JO also stands for: job order (work), journalist (occupation), junior officer (occupation), joint operation (military), juvenile offender (law/police) and Justice Ombudsman (occupation/law).
Why register a .JO domain?
Jordan is a progressive Arab Kingdom in western Asia. Although the country is lacking in natural sources of water, Jordan is still an ideal place for foreign investments. International companies believe it as a prime location for brand expansion in Asia for many reasons. First, its government is fully committed to privatization of the enterprise system. Second, tax exemptions are granted to encourage investors to create more projects. Most importantly, world class communication and transportation facilities make it easier to operate a business.
If your company is planning to invest in Jordan, buying a .JO extension is something that your team must consider. A country coded website can do wonders to your company’s online presence. Some benefits include:
- JO domain suffix makes your website look more professional and more credible. It shows that you own a registered trademark and that alone is a strong statement about your company’s credibility.
- Position your company as a locally-operated business in Jordan. When customers see that your website is using their country code extension, it encourages them to engage and make a purchase.
- Tell Google robots that your website is specifically created for the Jordanian audiences. This is the benefit of using a country-coded website. Search engines will categorize your website as “local” and so a big percentage of your traffic volume will be coming from Jordan.
- Buy the exact domain name that you want. JO is unsaturated and many popular words are still open for registration. This means that you don’t have to settle with a super long domain name or a website address that is totally irrelevant to your business. Choose an exact match for your trademark and buy it at an affordable price. This is hard to do if you opt for a .COM extension.
- Using a country code extension like JO for Jordan is a smart step for doing white hat SEO. The suffix JO stands for Jordan which is good for narrowing down your target audience. This is currently the best SEO practice. Instead of targeting the entire world, it’s best to target a smaller and more specific audience.