What are the registration requirements for .MX domains?
Registration of .MX domain does not have any requirement or restriction.
What does .MX stand for?
.MX represents the official domain extension or internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) of Mexico. Registration is open to any individual, company or organization regardless of citizenship or residence. Local presence is also not mandatory for businesses. NIC (Network Information Center) México administers the registry and operation of this domain name.
MX also serves as an abbreviation or acronym for other things. MX stands for mail exchange (networking), mastectomy (medical), motocross (sports), or Maxim (business). Although used rarely, it is a gender-neutral substitute for Mr. or Ms. However, MX is most commonly used as a two-letter abbreviation for Mexico or Mexican.
Why register a .MX domain?
In a data released by World Bank in 2016, Mexico is the 2nd most powerful country in Latin America in terms of economic stability and is considered “middle power” in terms of purchasing parity. Automobile, aircraft and construction industries are the top factors why Mexico has established itself as a middle-income country. From a business standpoint, investors are attracted to expand their brand in the Mexican territories because the household consumption trend is predictable and rapidly increasing. Consumers spend their money not just on basic commodities but as well as on electronics, automobiles, and other luxury items.
If your company is considering an expansion in Mexico, a.MX website is essential for the following reasons:
- It demonstrates the company website’s dedication, commitment and deep interest in serving Mexican customers
- It helps in protecting your trademark from being used online without your authorization
- A localized website with .MX suffix shows the company’s strong affiliation with the Mexican culture, economy and politics
- It gives a professional and reputable image for your company
- Maximize the sales potential of your business by capturing high quality leads to your website
- Be able to register a short domain name for your business, as short as 3 characters, which it is really difficult to do if you choose a .com domain.
- Safeguard your online reputation in Mexico and avoid scammers from using your brand name in fraudulent activities. This is highly critical to succeed in any market.
- Be the first to obtain your brand name. If you fail to register your trademark/brand name now, it will only take a short time before somebody else does.
- Make it easier for your website to get indexed by search engines for the local users to easily find it.
- Register the domain name while it’s still offered at a low price. Domain names, just like real estate properties, increase its value over the years. There’s no assurance that the price will remain the same a year from now.
- Increase your ranking in local search engines. MX is a strong keyword for Spanish-speaking countries so having a .MX website will help boost organic traffic not just from Mexico but possibly from other Latin territories as well.