What are the registration requirements for .UK domains?
If another person holds the rights to the registration of the .UK domain you want to register, you will not be able to register that particular .UK domain until after June 10, 2019.
- .CO.UK, .ORG.UK, .ME.UK, .NET.UK, .PLC.UK or .LTD.UK domains registered prior to June 10, 2014 have priority and the rights to register the same .UK domain name until June 10, 2019. This is valid as long as the original domain remains active. Any .CO.UK, .ORG.UK, .ME.UK, .NET.UK, .PLC.UK or .LTD.UK domain owner who registered their domain after June 10, 2014, does not have priority over the same .UK domain, and therefore the .UK domain name is available to the general public.
If the requested .UK domain is not registered as another United Kingdom extension, it is available to the general public.
You can check here to see if anyone holds the rights to the registration of your new .UK domain. A local address in the United Kingdom is required. If you do not meet this requirement, we can register the domain using our local address at an additional fee (Trustee Service).
- There are no requirements.
- Registrant must be a British natural person.
- The registrant is required to be a British Internet Service Provider and be listed as a Local Internet Registry. The registered domain name must be the same as or a similar variant of the applicant's name.
What does .UK stand for?
.UK represents the official domain extension or the internet country code top level domain (ccTLD) of UK (United Kingdom). It was introduced in 1985 and was intended for entities with connection to the United Kingdom. Nominet UK is the authorized unit for carrying out its operation and registry. On the other hand, Marcaria.com is a trusted and accredited registrar for processing the applications for .UK domain extension.
Aside from usage as United Kingdom’s two-letter country code, UK is also used for other acronyms and abbreviations. UK also stands for: unknown , Uttarakhand (location), Unabkömmlich (German word for being exempted from military), Universitätsklinik (German word for university hospital), Utilities Kingston (Canadian company name), University of Kansas (educational institution) and University of Kentucky (educational institution).
Why register a .UK domain?
United Kingdom is the fifth most powerful economy in the world in terms of GDP (gross domestic product) and the ninth largest economy in the word in terms of PPC (purchasing power parity). Its economic activities are diverse with sources of national revenues coming from exports of aircraft, cars, pharmaceuticals and petroleum. UK is an attractive destination for placing investments and building a strong brand name presence. The taxation system in this country is designed to encourage both local and foreign investors to start new businesses. On top of that, the infrastructure and transportation schemes in the UK are also conducive for maintaining business contacts not only within the country but with neighboring countries as well.
UK is indeed a big marketplace for any type of business venture. If you want to secure your company’s success in this country, we urge you to register .UK domains. Doing so will help your business in the following ways:
- UK domains are helpful in establishing your brand’s affiliation with the United Kingdom. This is essential if you want to ensure the success of your business in this country.
- UK domains are helpful in building a trustworthy and professional online reputation. The fact that you are allowed to use the UK domain extension is already a proof that your business is legit. In this way, target customers won’t have to worry if your web page is a scam. On the contrary, consumers are aware that you have all the official documents which make them confident to shop from your store.
- UK domains are helpful in using white Hat SEO strategies. If your optimization techniques are purely natural and organic (which is highly recommended), using a country code extension is a must-do. It will boost your traffic from United Kingdom without relying heavily on paid advertisements.
- UK domains are helpful in minimizing your costs and maximizing your savings. How? When your company doesn’t depend heavily on expensive SEO campaigns, you are able to cut costs and save more. Country code domains make this possible because they help your website generate natural traffic and boost lead conversion.